Less than a mile long, the Dorfbahn in Serfaus is also the world's highest metro system.
- The world's shortest (0.8 mi) and highest (4,680 ft) metro runs beneath an Austrian ski resort.
- Constructed in 1985, the Dorfbahn keeps Serfaus traffic-free.
- Capacity will increase from 1,600 to 3,000 passengers per hour this spring.
Globally 72 percent of scientific researchers are men. But there are some exceptions.
There should be no shortage of inspirational role models for young girls dreaming of a career in science. Women have been responsible for some of the most important scientific breakthroughs that shaped the modern world, from Marie Curie's discoveries about radiation, to Grace Hopper's groundbreaking work on computer programming, and Barbara McClintock's pioneering approach to genetics.
Disney, one of world's largest entertainment companies, doubles down on its environmental plan.
- Disney is taking the lead in reducing greenhouse emissions at its facilities.
- The company built a giant solar panel installation to power its Florida resort.
- Disney plans to cut emissions by 50 percent by the year 2020.
A recent test shows SpaceX's Raptor engine is powerful enough to lift Starship and Super Heavy into space.
- SpaceX plans to use its new Raptor engines to power Starship and Super Heavy, two craft that would be used on a future Mars journey.
- The company has been testing its Raptor engines in Texas this week, though Thursday's announcement is the first time the engine has been shown able to produce the force necessary to lift Super Heavy and Starship.
- Raptor is powered by methane, a fuel source that SpaceX chose because the company hopes to someday generate it on Mars.
A network of devices called MERMAIDs is taking seismographs where they've never been.
- Most of the ocean floor is inaccessible to seismologists.
- Much can be learned about the interior of Earth by listening to earthquakes.
- Ingenious new floating sensors are changing the ocean seismology game.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.