Learn to understand the foundations of modern life and even launch a new career.
- Electrical engineering is the study, design, and application of systems that utilize electricity and electronics.
- Modern applications include power grids, telecommunications, and circuit boards.
- Computing systems such as supercomputers and tablets rely on electrical engineering.
A NASA-sponsored competition asks participants to improve the design of a bucket drum for moon excavation.
- NASA wants your help redesigning the bucket drum system for its RASSOR excavator.
- The Moon's weaker gravity and the excavator's light weight pose unique design challenges.
- RASSOR will one day excavate regolith so it can be processed into the resources necessary for sustainable lunar exploration.
Despite the hype, these technologies aren't relevant right now. But they could be in the future.
- The hype around blockchain technology has been sufficiently steady since its arrival. But UCLA professor Ramesh Srinivasan reveals the real potential in this relatively new technology is far from its connection to cryptocurrency.
- To tap this potential, it's necessary to move away from the individualistic intentions to which blockchain so often applies. For example, taking root in areas that have fallen victim to disaster capitalism like Puerto Rico in the wake of Hurricane Maria.
- To overcome these hurdles, we must scrutinize the sources of these types of technology as well as those that benefit from its implementation.
The BYP Network is shining light on overlooked talent in certain industries.
- The most underrepresented group in the tech industry is the black population, especially in technical and leadership roles.
- The BYP Network is a new platform helping to shine light on talent that is too often overlooked in industries like tech.
- The network currently has around 40,000 users and is projected to grow to 500,000 by 2021.
Ready to become a tech wizard? Creation Crate's electronic projects are delivered to your door with everything you need to start building and learning.
- Creation Crate is a tech subscription box that sends monthly projects, with all the components, right to your door.
- Each project in the curriculum teaches new lessons in electronics and C++ programming. The projects get more challenging as you learn.
- Working with your hands changes your brain's neurochemistry to reduce stress and increase learning. It's also a great way to prepare kids for a STEM future.