In this short video, he compares the outset of Buddhism with the biblical garden.
- During this class, Jordan Peterson describes how overprotective parenting led to the creation of Buddhism.
- Peterson compares the Buddhist origin myth with the story of Eden.
- Both tales deal with the onset of consciousness and mortality and therefore are universal in appeal.
The psychological disconnect between humans and other animals puts all forms of life at risk.
- As part of the EU Withdrawal Bill, British MPs refused to recognize animal sentience.
- Yet it is well-documented that animals feel a range of feelings, including pain.
- The delusional idea that only humans experience emotions has lead to a variety of catastrophic problems, such as mass factory farming
The Buddha's teachings seem to be on point.
- Practicing self-compassion is shown to reduce arousal and increase parasympathetic activation in a new study.
- Feeling comfortable in your skin leads to higher-order emotions, such as empathy and compassion.
- Buddha realized this millennia ago when prescribing compassion as the path to self-realization.
It's all about the serotonin.
- In a new study, MDMA is shown to produce better cognitive and emotional empathy than users of cocaine, ketamine, and alcohol.
- This follows in the wake of criticism that MDMA use leads to social distress.
- Illegal in America since 1985, MDMA is showing positive efficacy rates in clinical trials for treating depression, anxiety, and PTSD.
Boy, girl: the pain is the same.
- Our gender bias may run so deep that we may misattribute the severity of someone else's pain.
- In a recent study, close to 100 adults mislabeled the gender of a child and exaggerated the amount of pain the child was experiencing.
- One way you can tackle gender health inequality: hold federal agencies accountable.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.