The bid to buy Greenland is unlikely to become seriously considered.
- Greenland and Danish officials alike think the idea is ridiculous.
- The island is an autonomous state, and it's unlikely the Danish would sell it because of yearly subsidies costs.
- After hearing the Danish Prime Minister call the idea absurd, Trump cancelled their forthcoming meeting.
A group representing more than 100 of the biggest corporations in the U.S. has released a statement updating its definition of the purpose of American corporations.
JOHANNES EISELE / Contributor
- The new statement says corporations shouldn't only be concerned about maximizing shareholder profits.
- Instead, corporations should focus on all of its stakeholders.
- The idea that corporations need only focus on maximizing shareholder profit took hold in the 1970s and has since remained, more or less, the dominant viewpoint on Wall Street.
Until the use of prison labor is banned, many stakeholders will be incentivized to prevent felons from being rehabilitated.
- The Thirteenth amendment prohibits slavery in the U.S. except as punishment for a crime.
- A considerable number of public institutions, private companies, and individuals benefit from prison labor.
- Is true prison reform possible when some many stand to gain from this legalized form of slavery?
Recognizing the consequences of your actions requires consideration of the long game.
- A boycott of Equinox and SoulCycle has been called as owner Stephen Ross held a fundraiser for President Donald Trump.
- While the story has made headlines, the actual consequences of member cancellations are not what many think.
- The episode provides another example of the dangers of cancel culture.
"Cargotecture" is becoming increasingly popular as a cheap alternative to traditional houses.
- The U.K. firm Fraser Brown MacKenna Architects recently obtained approval to construct a number of affordable shipping container houses.
- Shipping container homes are surprisingly popular across the globe and can be found in Amsterdam and the U.S.
- A number of firms are available that can build custom shipping container homes, but they're also more straightforward to build yourself than a traditional house.