Can changing who delivers your electricity to you solve a slew of problems?
- Cities and movements across the country are considering running their own electric utilities.
- These operations, known as municipal utilities, are already widespread and have a respectable track record.
- Representatives of the campaigns to implement municipal control see this as a path to a green, democratic future.
A variety of structures exist to both treat employees with more respect and increase productivity.
- People love freedom but spend most of their day in a place where they are devoid of power, at work.
- There are a variety of ways to organize an enterprise that give workers influence over the workplace.
- Studies have found time and again that giving workers dignity, influence, and decent conditions pays off.
Gig workers suffer from low pay, wage theft, precariousness, dangerous working conditions, and discrimination.
It's telling about attempts to save the industry.
- Murray Energy, the largest private coal company in the U.S., has filed for bankruptcy protection.
- It is just one of several similar companies to seek these protections this year.
- Its decline has been years in the making, and is another sign that the market has decided coal's fate.
We can produce more stuff with less labor. So why are we still working?