Discrimination is up across the board.
- A new poll by PPRI found that nearly a quarter of Americans say it's okay to not serve atheists on religious grounds.
- The pro-discrimination number was even higher regarding gays and lesbians.
- Bias against Jews, Muslims, and African Americans is also increasing.
Many of us don't fit perfectly into existing social narratives. But we can still find our own way.
- Many of us are trying to fit into existing roles that aren't specially crafted for us, and, as a result, we don't fit perfectly in them. This causes us a lot of stress and anxiety.
- Though many people aren't transgender, they can still relate to the feeling of not completely fitting in, and having to figure out their own path. Often finding out own way directly overlaps with figuring out what makes us happy.
- When someone is trans, it is possible for them to feel attracted to either gender. For example, Breanna wishes she could tell her teenage self that it is possible to "be a girl and like girls."
- As a stand-up comedian, Pete Holmes knows how words can manipulate audiences — for good and bad.
- Words aren't just words. They stich together our social fabric, helping establish and maintain relationships.
- Holmes has a clever linguistic exercise meant to bring you closer to the people around you.
"It is unthinkable in this day and time that the law requires a sex-change operation to change gender."
- So-called mandatory sterilization laws require transgender people to get sterilized before being able to legally change their genders.
- Activists and other opponents of such legislation call these laws invasive and against the individual's right to self-determination.
- Japan isn't the only country to still have mandatory sterilization laws, and it wasn't until 2017 that Europe decided to end mandatory sterilization–though not all countries have accepted the change.
Voters decided on major changes on issues like marijuana, abortion and Medicaid.
- Alabama and West Virginia passed amendments that would effectively outlaw abortion if the Supreme Court overturns Roe.
- Medical marijuana is now legal in Missouri and Utah, while Michigan legalized recreational marijuana.
- Missouri and Arkansas will raise the minimum wage significantly over the next several years.