Having a dog may be one way to curb lonelieness.
- A pilot study has found that dogs help socialize those with intellectual disabilities at Australian group homes.
- Previous research finds that pets helps those who use wheelchairs "feel more secure and confident in public."
- People are far more likely to interact with someone with an intellectual disability if they were walking with a dog.
There might be hope for our oceans, thanks to one clumsy moment in a coral tank.
- David Vaughan at the Mote Laboratory is growing coral 40 times faster than in the wild.
- It typically takes coral 25 to 75 years to reach sexual maturity. With a new coral fragmentation method, it takes just 3.
- Scientists and conservationists plan to plant 100,000 pieces of coral around the Florida Reef Tract by 2019 and millions more around the world in the years to come.
Time to build a Corellian shipyard?
- Two Harvard researchers recently speculated that an object that entered into our solar system was an interstellar probe.
- The odds that this is what happened are quite literally astronomical.
- If humans are to build spaceships to chase after the probe, we'll need to come to a greater understanding of how to manipulate dark energy that exists in the universe.
The closer together we get, the argument goes, the healthier we'll be.
- The more exposed we are to each other, the less surprising a pathogen will be to our bodies.
- Terrorism, high blood pressure, and staffing issues threaten to derail progress.
- Pursuing global health has to be an active choice.
Is the future with radiative cooling?
- Scientists at Stanford have developed what is essentially a fossil-free air conditioner.
- It absorbs solar energy, creates a heat sink, and releases that heat through radiative cooling.
- The device is still in development.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.