Tips on how to intensify engagement with what you're reading.
- One of the ways you can deconstruct an argument is being actively attuned to what you're reading.
- To better remember content, take a blank sheet of paper and write down what you know about that subject. You can write it in bullet points.
- When you later come back to what you're reading, go to that sheet and skim it – it will prime your brain for what you're going to read.
Two new studies say yes. Unfortunately, each claims a different time.
- Research at the Weizmann Institute of Sciences declares evening to be the best time for an exercise session.
- Not so fast, says a new study at UC Irvine, which replies that late morning is the optimal workout time.
- Both studies involved mice on treadmills and measured different markers to produce their results.
Might microdosing LSD and psilocybin be a safe, effective way to treat depression and other disorders?
- A recent study collected the self-reports of more than 1,000 people who microdosed LSD or psilocybin regularly for about a month.
- The results showed that most people experienced more positive moods, less depression and increased productivity.
- These results are preliminary, and microdosing remains an under-researched area.
From your health to leadership, a good sense of humor can improve nearly every aspect of life.
- Studies have shown that a sense of humor can improve your mental and physical health, boost your attractiveness, and improve your leadership skills.
- There are a variety of theories and styles of humor, each of which can improve your understanding of the subject.
- Humor may be a critical life skill, but can it be taught?
At Big Think, we capture the thoughts of the world's most brilliant thinkers.
- At Big Think, significance, relevance, and actionability are our editorial guide stars. They are the principles that we consider in every case when we say, "Is this worth our time? Is this worth our attention or is it not?"
- Big Think Edge is the next step. We've created the single most valuable library of mentorship-rich, insight-driven applied learning that has ever been created.
- Big Think Edge is an online learning platform that lets you stream short, actionable videos lessons taught by the world's top thinkers. Want to become smarter, faster? Join now, or learn more.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.