Nikolaas Tinbergen's concept of "supernormal stimulus" explains why humans are attracted to a heightened version of reality.
- According to Pornhub's annual statistics, "hentai" and "cartoons" were among the most popular categories in 2018.
- Such pornography is a supernormal stimulus, an artificial object that triggers an animal's instinctual response more intensely than natural analogs.
- Supernormal stimuli not only explain our heightened response to pornography, but also art, junk food, and social media.
The counterintuitive findings bode well for stoners, but more research is needed.
- Marijuana research in the past has found that using the drug is linked to lower testicular health.
- New research from Harvard, however, suggests the opposite: Marijuana users have more and better quality sperm.
- These unexpected findings highlight how poorly we understand marijuana's effect on the human body.
The American Psychological Association recently released guidelines for treating boys and men. Men aren't happy about it.
- APA Guidelines for the Psychological Practice of Boys and Men represents the first time the association has published rules specifically for treating white, Western males.
- Though the guidelines are data-driven and therapeutically sound, a corner of the American Right (and some on the Left) has taken offense.
- Men still dominate statistics in a number of categories, including suicide rates, substance abuse, and violence.
The former FOX News host speaks out.
- Former FOX News host Gretchen Carlson says that, as a culture, we didn't know how to speak openly about sexual harassment until very, very recently. And there's still a lot of work to be done. Her docuseries on the subject, Breaking the Silence airs January 14 at 8 PM on Lifetime.
- Her own experiences of sexual harassment played out on air in real time... and were wrongly condoned by a major news organization.
- Gretchen has emerged as one of the most influential voices in the #MeToo movement, lobbying Congress to enact laws to prohibit forced arbitration clauses in employment contracts that silence and demean victims of sexual harassment.
A blank canvas for generations of science.
- Phineas Gage is considered to be Patient Zero for traumatic brain injury.
- The story of Gage at the time was that his damaged brain rendered him a different, monstrous person. This wasn't true.
- Recent studies demonstrate that an injured brain can see an increase in connection in areas associated with touch and learning.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.