We may not learn and grow beyond the #MeToo era if we keep thinking in black and white, says comedian Pete Holmes.
- The collective suffering society is going through with the #MeToo movement is the earmark that real change is happening, says comedian Pete Holmes. Abusers need to acknowledge their wrongdoing and, where possible, be open about their evolution and growth.
- Comedian Louis C.K.'s abuses and return to the stage have divided the comedy community and society on a broader scale. The debate predominately has two narratives: Either C.K. is a monster, or he is a symbol of artistic freedom.
- The truth, says Holmes, is likely in the middle, and our need to take a binary stance won't help us confront and grow from these complicated issues.
A new study in Spain displays the powerful effects of empathy.
- Men that take paid paternity leave in Spain are less likely to want more children in the future.
- The study's authors believe that men become more aware of the overall costs of raising children.
- Before the service was enacted, women spent 4.2 hours engaged in unpaid childcare labor compared to 1.3 hours by men.
Men should be just concerned as women.
- A study from Rutgers documents age-related reproductive factors for men.
- Beyond a certain age, men risk a variety of serious hazards to their mates and offspring.
- Men planning to father children should consider banking their sperm before reaching 35.
What happens to a person's identity when they are forced to play a hypermasculine role just to survive?
- Prison is not a place where it pays to be vulnerable.
- Living in prison involves survival through developing a front, or a mask to live behind.
- Many men in prison develop a hypermasculine sense of self that shows no fear, emotion or distress to cope with the threatening overtones of the prison community.
1,500 study participants play Spot the Cheater
- Male philanderers faces give them away slightly more often than female faces do.
- Study tests idea of being able to spot competition as an evolutionary aid to protecting our relationships.
- The most reliable — though not very reliable — cue is sexual dimorphism.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.