Are Americans growing more skeptical of promises of investment from massive (digital) companies?
- Amazon had spent years on a controversial campaign to select cities where it plans to build giant corporate campuses.
- In November, the retail giant announced plans to build its so-called HQ2 in Virginia and New York.
- On Thursday, Amazon cancelled its plans to build in New York following backlash from local lawmakers, union leaders, and protestors.
China's export growth model hit a wall. So it reinvented itself.
- China is no longer an impoverished manufacturer of the world's products; it is a major consumer market of 1.4 billion people.
- When its manufacturing boom hit a wall, China changed tactics and invested heavily in consumerism at home – a second boom that will make China king.
- Global brands are desperate for a piece of China's $5 trillion private consumer market.
When he first became a multi-millionaire, Elon Musk shared how his vision led to success.
- Elon Musk saw that you could make money on the internet back in 1995, when most people didn't.
- He explains that he's not interested in money as much as in starting companies.
- Musk likes to pursue new ideas like a "new game".
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
Co-ops are more pervasive than you think. They just suffer from a marketing problem.
- The cooperative model accounts for $154B every year in America.
- America leads the world with cooperatives, with over 30,000 businesses operating under this model.
- Co-op advocate Nathan Schneider believes this model can help level the economic playing field.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.