Yes, a coup d'état.
- Though we know today that his policies eventually ended the Great Depression, FDR's election was seen as disastrous by some.
- A group of wealthy bankers decided to take things into their own hands; they plotted a coup against FDR, hoping to install a fascist dictator in its stead.
- Ultimately, the coup was brought to light by General Smedley Butler and squashed before it could get off the ground.
A bill in New York would let older kids get vaccinations against their parents' wishes.
- Teens 14 and older should be able to get vaccinated on their own, says a new bill in New York.
- Lawmakers were inspired by Ethan Lindenberger, an Ohio teen who fought to take vaccines against his mom's wishes.
- Anti-vaccination attitudes have been blamed for recent measles outbreaks.
Most people don't just think the world should be run meritocratically, they think it is meritocratic.
'We are true to our creed when a little girl born into the bleakest poverty knows that she has the same chance to succeed as anybody else …' Barack Obama, inaugural address, 2013
'We must create a level playing field for American companies and workers.' Donald Trump, inaugural address, 2017
It's almost time to 'spring forward.'
The hard part was keeping the list down to ten.
- Russia's history is fascinating and filled with colorful characters.
- Some of the most influential of them have been extremely controversial.
- Here are ten of the most interesting, both good and bad.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.