A 2019 ranking of all 50 states' education systems shows the Sunshine State serves its college students well.
- Florida may be the butt of many jokes, but its higher education system is second to none.
- However, the state's PreK-12 education lacks comparatively, giving Massachusetts the top spot for the best education overall.
- Americans believe their state governments should prioritize education, but much work needs to be done to catch up to other countries.
With the seemingly endless growth of the Democratic primary field, social behaviorists are worried that we may suffer from choice overload.
- The Democratic primary field has grown to be one of the largest in history, partially due to a desire to take down Donald Trump.
- But this may backfire; social behaviorists warn that presenting people with too many choices can produce choice overload, resulting in paralysis and regret.
- What are the negative effects of being offered too many choices? Are there any benefits to be had from this huge field of candidates?
The recent debate between Slavoj Žižek and Jordan Peterson lived up to the hype.
- Žižek and Peterson went head-to-head recently at a debate in Toronto.
- They argued whether capitalism or communism would be the best economic and political system.
- The two generally agreed on their critiques of political correctness.
- There are 2 different approaches to governing free speech on college campuses.
- One is a morality/order approach. The other is a bottom-up approach.
- Emily Chamlee-Wright says there are many benefits to having no one central authority on what is appropriate speech.
The real Game of Thrones might be who best leverages the hit HBO show to shape political narratives.
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren argues that Game of Thrones is primarily about women in her review of the wildly popular HBO show.
- Warren also touches on other parallels between the show and our modern world, such as inequality, political favoritism of the elite, and the dire impact of different leadership styles on the lives of the people.
- Her review serves as another example of using Game of Thrones as a political analogy and a tool for framing political narratives.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.