The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
It could put the American fossil fuel industry on a clear path to extinction.
- A bipartisan group of renowned economists has proposed the U.S. implement a carbon tax.
- The tax would increase until climate goals are met, and all proceeds would be given back to the people in equal lump-sums.
- Recent research suggests that a majority of people would support a carbon tax policy that redistributes proceeds back to citizens.
The Green New Deal is an ambitious attempt to fight climate change, but is it destined to hit the political skids?
- Recent protests by the Sunrise Movement have taken the Green New Deal from forgotten policy to trending hashtag.
- The Green New Deal aims to move the U.S. to 100% renewable energy within a decade.
- Proponents also hope to catalyze a top-down restructuring of the U.S. economy and advance social justice issues.
Not all states are feeling the effects equally.
- A new map from WalletHub, generated by comparing various federal data, shows the states most affected by the government shutdown.
- About 800,000 federal employees are furloughed or are working without pay.
- Government shutdowns have become an increasingly common political tool, but it wasn't until the early 1980s that they started resulting in the closing of federal agencies.
When a country's educated or entrepreneurial citizens leave all at once, the phenomenon is called "human capital flight" or "brain drain".
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.