Move over SSRIs, Advil is on the way.
- A new study found that anti-inflammatory medications provide "reasonably safe" relief from depression.
- The meta-analysis discovered that 26 out of 30 studies showed the efficacy of NSAIDs, omega-3s, and others help combat mental health issues.
- While an important advancement in treating depression, root causes of inflammation, such as diet and stress, should be addressed first.
Could your urge to check emails — instead of finishing that major project — be a response to an uncomfortable emotional state?
- It's easy to stumble down a rabbit hole when we consider the action beneficial like checking emails, stock prices, or sports scores.
- However, if these seemingly beneficial actions take the place of something else we intended to do, they're just distractions. And we've been moved to these distraction as a psychological response to discomfort.
- The truth is that distraction comes from within, and time management is just another form of pain management.
Among the variety of human screams, it is screams of terror that stand out most vividly.
Psychologists discover why people participate in scary attractions.
- Psychologists link anxiety from ambiguity to why we find some people or situations creepy.
- A study showed that people who go to scary attractions find their moods improving and stress levels lowered.
- Scary situations can produce a euphoria and a sense of achievement.
A review of the multifaceted questions we'll ask to determine whether robots have a felt quality of experience — an "inner feel."
- The reason we entertain thought experiments such as reincarnation and an afterlife is because we're sentient beings. These concepts are innate to our experiences as conscious human beings.
- The ACT test probes A.I. to examines whether it can grasp these questions — i.e., the mind existing separately from the body, or the system without the computer. If so, then there's reason to believe it's a conscious being.
- For machines to develop consciousness, they will need to have the right architectural features. For instance, for humans we possess a working memory, attention, and brain stems — all of which serve as the neural basis of our conscious experience. If there is a machine analog to these things, then it may suggest that the machines are conscious as well.