Two Apollo 11 astronauts question NASA's planetary safety procedures.
- Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins revealed that there were deficiencies in NASA's safety procedures following the Apollo 11 mission.
- Moon landing astronauts were quarantined for 21 days.
- Earth could be contaminated with lunar bacteria.
Bats are being subjected to a deadly plague that may be threatening their existence. However, a new bacterial spray may help fight the fungus responsible.
- Since 2006, white-nose syndrome has killed millions and millions of bats, threatening many species with extinction.
- Bats may not be everybody's idea of a cute and cuddly animal, but losing them would be devastating to the ecosystem.
- Fortunately, researchers are hard at work trying to uncover a means of dealing with this fungal disease. One such treatment is the use of the antifungal bacteria Pseudomonas fluorescens.
A new study found a positive association between sugary drinks and cancer.
- The study monitored the health of more than 100,000 adults over a five-year period.
- During this time, some 2,200 people developed cancer, the majority of whom regularly consumed sugary drinks.
- Still, the researchers said the results don't prove that sugar causes cancer.
The animal we fear most? Spiders.
- Researchers in the Czech Republic ranked 25 animals we fear most in a new online survey.
- While predatory animals evoke fear, they rarely raise our sense of disgust.
- By contrast, parasites, spiders, and snakes make us fearful and repulsed.
Our favorite over-the-counter medication has its limits.
- A study of hundreds of thousands of people finds the upper safe limit for coffee consumption.
- Too much coffee puts drinkers at an increased cardiovascular risk.
- Say no to that seventh cup.