"Superstar" firms have been lowering labor's share of GDP in recent decades, a new study finds.
More rules is not what's going to stop sexual harassment at work, says Johnny C. Taylor, Jr. Change the culture.
- "Too many organizations have tolerated the brilliant jerk. Too many organizations have tolerated the highly profitable sexual harasser or bully," says Johnny C. Taylor, Jr., CEO of the Society for Human Resource Management. At this point in time, more rules is not the answer. The workplace culture must reject harassers.
- When organizations do nothing to stop harassers and have one set of rules for the powerful and one for the powerless, productivity, workplace culture, and morale are affected in ways we can measure, and in insidious, destructive ways that we cannot.
- "Think about it, says Taylor. "Your star performer is known to flirt the line, if not cross the line, with respect to inappropriate workplace behavior. Are you prepared to fire that person, even if it means you may lose a major contract? That's when employees will judge who you are and what this company is really about. They're going to judge you on what you do, not what you say."
The encyclopedia offers more "reliable" information than Wikipedia, said Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Mikhail Svetlov / Contributor
- A government resolution said the measure will ensure that "reliable information that is constantly updated on the basis of scientifically verified sources of knowledge."
- The move is likely part of Russia's effort to crack down on citizens' internet access.
- Russia has centuries-old history of censorship, and state officials have even been observed to edit Wikipedia articles to serve Russian interests.
"Sea of Shadows" is a documentary you can't afford to miss.
- "Sea of Shadows" tells the story of an illegal fish trade between the Mexican cartel and Chinese mafia.
- The fish bladders, bought for $5,000 from local fisherman, are sold in China for over $100,000 to make an unproven medicine.
- Director Richard Ladkani talks about the intensity and danger of making this film, as well as the hopeful ending.
According to recent papers by Zucman, and his colleague Emmanuel Saez, one should be implemented.
- French economist, Gabriel Zucman, argues that a wealth tax needs to be implemented to level the economic playing field.
- Zucman helped both Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren draft their wealth tax proposals.
- Zucman was also part of the discovered American billionaires now pay a lower tax rate than the middle class.