The system could help with diagnosing and treating patients that cannot communicate.
Researchers from MIT and elsewhere have developed a system that measures a patient's pain level by analyzing brain activity from a portable neuroimaging device.
Researchers are only just beginning to really understand anaesthesia awareness.
Our ability to make predictions about the future distinguishes our level of consciousness.
- One of the great questions in all of science is where consciousness comes from.
- When it comes to consciousness, Kaku believes different species have different levels of consciousness, based on their feedback loops needed to survive in space, society, and time.
- According to the theoretical physicist, human beings' ability to use past experiences, memories, to predict the future makes us distinct among animals — and even robots (they're currently unable to understand, or operate within, a social hierarchy).
An expert's take on how to ace your exams through mindfulness.
- Being here and in the present is a necessity, if you want to excel in any situation.
- Author Logan Thompson explores in his new book how mindfulness is one of the most important aspects of test taking.
- Mindfulness is something that anyone can take up.
This unsettling new understanding of vegetative patients raises medical ethics issues.
- For a long time, doctors assessed whether patients were in vegetative states through behavioral tests.
- However, brain scans have revealed that some of these patients are actually in a state of "covert consciousness."
- Covertly conscious patients are aware of their surroundings, but cannot respond to external stimuli.