Should doctors allow their expertise to trump patient's personal goals — or should they yield to it?
- Our health care system right now prizes efficiency, rather than embedding an ethics committee throughout a patient's treatment.
- The challenge of being a medical ethicist is bringing "airy" concepts into clinical practice.
- Sometimes the solutions to ethical issues become established via legal precedent.
A comprehensive interdisciplinary paper removes any doubt that orcas don't belong in marine parks and zoos.
- Researchers present a detailed catalogue of the hardships captive orcas face and the damage done to them.
- The study draws parallels between known human chronic stresses and entertainment and research facility conditions.
- The evidence offers a damning response to perplexed apologies offered by proprietors of such parks, aquariums, and zoos when an orca dies.
Chinese scientist He Jiankui edited the genes of two babies to be resistant to HIV, provoking outrage. Now, a new genetic analysis shows why this was reckless.
- The gene-editing technique CRISPR offers major benefits to humanity, but scientists don't believe the field is mature enough for widespread editing.
- For this reason, when Chinese scientist He Jiankui edited the genes of two babies to be resistant to HIV, his work provoked outrage.
- A new study of 400,000 genetic profiles reveals that He's genetic editing did indeed have an unintended consequence.
A DNA test promises to reveal your hidden history — but is it all smoke and mirrors?
Most people remember the emperor: a vain ruler, swindled into paying for a nonexistent magical garment, parades in public, only to be embarrassed by a little boy. To me, the story is really about the swindling tailors.
Hearing-related problems are on the rise.
- Noise pollution should be considered a public-health crisis, according to experts that study the problem.
- Between 15-20 percent of humans will suffer from tinnitus during their lives.
- Carbon is not the only catalyst for environmental degradation; entire ecosystems are being destroyed by noise.