Today, a quickly emerging set of technologies known as bioprinting is poised to push the boundaries further.
A punishment is handed down for performing shocking research on human embryos.
- In November 2018, a Chinese scientist claimed he'd flouted ethics and the law to edit genes in human embryos.
- Other Chinese scientists call He Jiankui's research "crazy."
- Three gene-modified babies are now living in China, future uncertain.
Thinning forests in the Western United States can save billions of gallons of water per year and improve conservation efforts.
- Recent research indicates that dense forests in the Sierra Nevada drain billions of gallons of water from the watershed each year.
- Unusually dense tree stands degrade the vitality of the land, plants, animals, and even the trees.
- Experts recommend managing forest restoration through controlled fires and the thinning of small, fire-prone trees.
While the blockbuster franchise might have given us a distorted view of science's capabilities to address species extinction, new research might come close to "resurrecting" lost species' DNA.
- Jurassic Park has fueled public misconceptions about science's abilities to bring extinct species back to life.
- De-extinction technology can resurrect genetic material from extinct species into their living relatives in a way that can assist conservation efforts.
- Fostering empathy for other-than-human lives through stories might be the key to addressing the current ecological catastrophe.
A transformational tool for the future of the world.
- The 'cut and paste' DNA tool CRISPR will one day eliminate deadly diseases.
- The technology will give us the capability to genetically design our children and perhaps one day ourselves.
- CRISPR is already revolutionizing certain fields of medicine.