With little progress on other avenues to preventing mass shootings, one firm has employed architecture to save students.
- A school in Michigan is being remodeled in a way to minimize the effect of a shooter should the worst happen.
- It features limited sight lines, bullet proof windows, and doors that can be locked at the push of a button.
- Some research casts doubt on how effective the plans will actually be.
The "green" proposal would bring a 21st-century update to the 850-year-old cathedral.
- Shortly after a fire destroyed Notre Dame's roof and spire in April, France announced it'd be accepting rebuild proposals from architects around the world.
- One Paris firm has proposed a "green" design that would rebuild the Gothic cathedral's roof with a mixture of glass, oak and carbon fiber.
- There's an ongoing debate in France as to whether the cathedral should be rebuilt exactly as it was, or with a more modern touch.
The lack of tall, strong oak trees poses something of a problem for the restoration effort.
- A fire destroyed Notre Dame's 115-foot roof on April 15, immediately sparking a debate on how France should restore the cathedral.
- Some argue that it should be rebuilt to its original specifications, while others say alternate materials would be a better options.
- The debate calls to mind the philosophical thought experiment known as "The Ship of Theseus."
Digitally recording historical sites could serve as insurance in the case of disaster.
- Notre Dame, France's famous medieval cathedral, was severely damaged by a fire on Monday.
- Fortunately, at least two recent projects have taken detailed 3D scans of the cathedral, which could help in restoration efforts.
- As laser-scanning and digital imaging technology gets cheaper, some suggest we should digitally record historical sites in the event they get damaged, or worse.
- New research uses radiocarbon dating to create a timeline of the construction of 2,410 megaliths across Europe and Britain.
- The original builders were people believed to be solely hunter-gatherers who were actually also sailors.
- The megaliths studied go back 7,000 years.