1,500 study participants play Spot the Cheater
- Male philanderers faces give them away slightly more often than female faces do.
- Study tests idea of being able to spot competition as an evolutionary aid to protecting our relationships.
- The most reliable — though not very reliable — cue is sexual dimorphism.
Lauren Miranda sent a nude selfie to a boyfriend years ago. Somehow one of her students discovered it.
- Math teacher Lauren Miranda was fired from her Long Island school when a topless selfie surfaced.
- Miranda had only shared the photo with her ex-boyfriend, who is also a teacher in the school district.
- She's suing the school for $3 million as well as getting her job back, citing gender discrimination.
Harassment isn't about your intention. It's about your impact, explains Michael Kaufman.
- In the #MeToo era, many men feel they're walking on eggshells and can't say anything anymore.
- Companies must refocus their policies away from 1,000 page "don't do this" manuals and address the gray areas that are most confusing, like: Can you give a colleague a compliment?
- Workplace harassment training should focus on the principle that sexual harassment is about impact of your words or actions; it's not about your intention.
Be a man? Why this once trusty advice now fails men.
- Male power is a paradox, says Michael Kaufman, author of The Time Has Come: Why Men Must Join the Gender Equality Revolution.
- Society is male-dominated, yet despite their advantages men still die younger than women, are more likely to commit suicide, to be in prison, and to be addicted to drugs.
- There is a growing movement that blames women for the so-called attack on masculinity, but Kaufman doesn't buy it. He blames the society that established uneven power in the first place, which naturally has friction in today's world.
Two maps show two very different takes on the huge discrepancies in U.S. life expectancy
- These maps show strong links between location and life expectancy.
- Hawaiians live longest, Mississippians die earliest.
- County-level ranking shows short-life hotspots in Kentucky, long-life ones in Colorado.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.