The intelligent life we are searching for doesn't have to be humanoid.
The TRUTHS mission aims to collect extremely precise data on how much radiation Earth absorbs and reflects.
- TRUTHS would use state-of-the-art technology to precisely measure Earth's so-called "radiation budget."
- The new technology would also help calibrate instruments aboard existing satellites.
- The European Space Agency and UK Space Agency are expected to launch the mission in 2026.
New study figures out how stars produce gamma ray bursts.
A Mars Space Flight team member warns that people need to be prepared for what's coming.
These needles in the vast galactic haystack take more effort to find, but they help piece together our origins.
- With billions of stars in our galaxy, why should astronomers seek out the oldest ones?
- Age-dating stars is a complicated process, so astronomers use chemical compositions, telescopes, and prisms to determine the age of these ancient stars.
- Some telescopes used for this purpose are in extremely remote places, where you can observe the bright band of the Milky Way with the naked eye.