Empathy is what allows us to understand works of art, right?
Even drawing stick figures has its benefits.
- Many of us stop making art at a young age, convinced, perhaps, that we just don't have the talent for it.
- This belief, however, may be wrong, and the benefits that producing art can bring aren't contingent on talent.
- Is creating art an activity that all of us should pursue? Can artistic skill be taught?
Nikolaas Tinbergen's concept of "supernormal stimulus" explains why humans are attracted to a heightened version of reality.
- According to Pornhub's annual statistics, "hentai" and "cartoons" were among the most popular categories in 2018.
- Such pornography is a supernormal stimulus, an artificial object that triggers an animal's instinctual response more intensely than natural analogs.
- Supernormal stimuli not only explain our heightened response to pornography, but also art, junk food, and social media.
Transport yourself to other worlds and states of mind.
- The early 20th century saw explosive growth for the science fiction genre.
- A wide range of these books would go on to become classics.
- These great works explore the strange, zany and absurd profundities of our existence.
- In 1848, Edgar Allan Poe wrote a book outlining his theory of everything.
- Modern readers will find many familiar concepts, including the Big Bang and multiple universes.
- While it has little real scientific merit, it does have a solution to Olbers' Paradox.