- Former NASA astronaut Leland Melvin is the only person to catch a pass in the NFL and in space.
- Here, he shares his thoughts on living in a state of grace and advocating for justice.
- Humanity's future is among the stars and to get there, we'll need everyone's diverse talents.
Sisu is an ancient concept that is an integral part of Finland's national character.
- Sisu is an important Finnish concept that helps natives tap into an "unexplored inner strength."
- Researcher Emilia Lahti surveyed over 1,000 Finnish citizens to discover what the term means to them.
- Lahti discovered her own sisu when completing 50 ultramarathons in 50 consecutive days to fight domestic violence.
The fierce debate over participation trophies ignores a crucial fact: Children aren't idiots.
- Coaches, parents, and pro athletes malign participation trophies for teaching children the wrong life lessons.
- Psychologists argue it is more beneficial to praise a child's efforts over their achievements.
- But proponents who use participation trophies as emotional Band-Aids will find they do their children no favors either.
Two questions hold the key to breaking through your limitations, says David Goggins.
- Navy SEAL Hell Week is 130 hours of brutal training with less than 4 hours of sleep.
- To mentally and physically persist, you need to be sure of one thing: Why you want to be there.
- David Goggins keeps a 'mental cookie jar' of victories to overcome stress and negative self-talk.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.