Businesses have learned how to mend the weak spots in free trial marketing.
- Free trials are an excellent marketing tool but people can take advantage of the system by using disposable emails, jumping from one free trial to the next.
- You can use free trial marketing to great effect if you know how to protect your business against those who want to take advantage.
- Here are 3 ways to identify email addresses that will never lead to a genuine sale and remove them from your lists.
Limit registration to non-disposable email address users<p>Protection against freemium abuse begins upon signup. Limiting registration to only those who don't use disposable email addresses is one way to do that. You can integrate a bulk email verification API into your registration page or use a disposable email domains database like the one provided <a href="https://emailverification.whoisxmlapi.com/disposable-email-domains?mc=bigthink.com" target="_self">by WhoisXML API</a> to automatically check if the email address a subscriber provided is disposable or not. A useful bulk email validation tool would tell your administrator immediately that the address is disposable, and so it's likely you're dealing with someone who might try to abuse a free trial.</p><a href="https://emailverification.whoisxmlapi.com/disposable-email-domains?mc=bigthink.com" ><img type="lazy-image" data-runner-src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMzYzMjkwMy9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY1MTUzMzE1OX0.RvfSCPLh2llBsT1ru98sLnwab0WNh-1JBqH4IhhOrw8/img.png?width=980" id="9a871" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="624ead3c30dd034e8a3e58ada443cfc6" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="Bulk email verification tool" /></a>
Make sure the email address is contactable<p>Not all freemium abusers use disposable email addresses. Some can just as easily use personal email addresses from Gmail, Yahoo, or other free services. A lot of people keep extra email addresses to direct email marketing or newsletters to. It's one way to keep their primary personal inboxes less crowded.</p><p>Since these secondary email addresses probably get tons of marketing collateral each day, they're likely full, and so messages will sooner or later bounce. That's not good for any company as it translates to a high bounce rate, which can adversely affect its email deliverability and domain reputation.</p><p>A robust <a href="https://emailverification.whoisxmlapi.com/bulk-api?mc=bigthink" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">bulk email validation API</a> can instantly let you know if all the email addresses in your contact database are accessible. It tells you if every address is Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP)-enabled and, therefore, able to receive messages. So, if you, for instance, have the email address firstname.lastname@example.org in your database, which has an email verification result that says it isn't SMTP-reachable, it may be best to take it off your distribution list to lower your bounce rate.</p><p>Taking the email address that's probably no longer in use off your subscription list is also advisable. That way, your chances of dealing with a freemium abuser is reduced as well.<br></p><a href="https://emailverification.whoisxmlapi.com/bulk-api?mc=bigthink" ><img type="lazy-image" data-runner-src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMzYzMzAyMy9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYzMzA0MDI2MH0.GGDQJnOedW6yB9cq0qmrfPwTthcnB2xpi4pRnSLMomw/img.png?width=980" id="90d00" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="edb0bfce366c8fe0e86fa9874a1acbba" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="bulk email validation API tool" /></a>
Keep your distribution list in tip-top shape<p>The more unreachable email addresses in your distribution list, the higher the chances of ending up in someone's blacklist. It is, after all, not uncommon for spammers or cybercriminals to use the shotgun approach in attacks. Sending messages to as many inboxes as possible, after all, increases their chances of success. Using their tactic for a legitimate business, however, is unacceptable either. Organizations are not allowed to send emails to just about anyone without their consent.</p> <p>And so companies that want to stay off blacklists should make it a point to keep their distribution lists updated at all times. But we also know that over time, contact lists can grow to a massive size, making cleanup tedious and time-consuming. The quickest way to keep email databases in tip-top condition is to use a bulk email validation solution. It lets you check up to 50,000 email addresses in one go to make sure that they won't do your domain reputation any harm and cause you to end up on a dreaded blacklist.</p> <p>Bulk Email Verification API/Lookup can confirm if each email address:</p> <ul><li>Has the correct syntax or follows established Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) standards</li><li>Is not disposable by checking its domain against those of known disposable email providers that include Mailinator, GuerrillaMail, and more than 2,000 others</li><li>Has a corresponding mail server evidenced by properly configured mail exchanger (MX) records</li><li>Points to a valid inbox that lessens your chances of dealing with suspicious users</li><li>Is not associated with a catch-all mailbox that isn't assigned to any particular user and so may not add value to your distribution list</li></ul>
From logo design to marketing mastery, this Adobe bundle is a bargain.
- Digital designers are in high demand as companies must compete to stand out.
- Translating your artwork from canvas to screen is easy with the right tools.
- From logo designs for business cards to billboards, all the skills you need can be learned in Adobe Illustrator.
Drum up demand for your side business with these marketing tips.
- If you want to attract customers, then you'll need to be proactive about telling the world what makes your products or services special.
- It's hard to point to just one issue that's holding 89 percent of people with side businesses back from earning more than $1,000 per month, but failure to drum up significant demand likely plays a significant role.
- To start, you'd do well to experiment with social media marketing, maximizing customer reviews, receiving referrals, making the most of the marketing real estate you have at your disposal, and pay-per-click ads.
1. Ask for referrals<p><a href="https://bigthink.com/ideafeed/how-word-of-mouth-works" target="_self">Word of mouth</a> is the single most effective way to let people know about your side hustle, and it's the best way to get started. It doesn't need to cost a cent, although it will require you to spend some time reaching out to your friends and family to ask them to share the news about your business.</p> <p>It's a good idea to write a few template messages and posts that you can ask people to share on their social media profiles and in WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger chats. </p> <p>The easier you make it for people to share information about your side hustle, the more likely they are to do so. And using a template also increases the likelihood that they'll describe what you do accurately.</p>
2. Use the real estate you have<p>Sometimes the best marketing assets don't need to be built from the ground up. To draw an analogy from the big brand advertising world, posters in front of restaurant urinals are arguably more impactful than setting up new highway billboards – and they require a fraction of the regulatory and engineering hurdles, too.</p><p>Try to think about what you're already doing that can be leveraged to draw attention to your side hustle. For example, you probably don't even realize how many emails you send. An estimated <a href="https://www.statista.com/statistics/456500/daily-number-of-e-mails-worldwide/" target="_blank">293.6 billion emails</a> cross the world every single day, and despite what people say about messaging platforms, that isn't about to drop any time soon. In fact, it's predicted to rise by 18 percent in the next year.</p>
3. Gather positive reviews<p>BrightLocal's data indicates that <a href="https://www.brightlocal.com/research/local-consumer-review-survey/" target="_blank">86 percent of consumers</a> read customer reviews before they choose a business to patronize. That's a pretty big majority.</p>
4. Get strategic about your social media marketing<p>Social media is a valuable marketing channel, but when you're running a side hustle, it can be overwhelming. When you're short on time, you can feel like you can't make a dent in the crowd.</p> <p>That's why you need a strategy:</p> <ul><li><strong>Choose just one or two channels to get started</strong>. Either focus on the ones where you already have a following, or choose the platforms best suited for your niche (e.g., Instagram if you're a photographer, Pinterest if you're running children's birthday parties, etc.).</li><li><strong>Automate your social media marketing</strong> with tools like <a href="https://hootsuite.com/" target="_blank">Hootsuite</a>, which offers a reasonably powerful free version. Use them to prepare and schedule a week or month's worth of posts in advance, to save you time. </li><li><strong>Connect with micro-influencers</strong>, people who have 1,000 to 100,000 followers, as sponsoring their posts is generally more affordable than those from bigger influencers. What's more, as a whole, <a href="https://buffer.com/resources/micro-influencers/" target="_blank">micro-influencers have higher engagement levels</a> and a higher levels of trust and authority among their followers. Choose micro-influencers in the relevant niche for your side hustle, e.g. beauty and style influencers if you're selling cosmetics on the side. </li><li><strong>Track both your side business brand and your specific niche</strong> with social listening tools like <a href="https://mention.com/en/" target="_blank">Mention</a>. This is especially <a href="https://www.fool.com/the-blueprint/ecommerce-marketing/" target="_blank">important for ecommerce marketing</a>, where tracking influencer mentions can be so important. What's more, a quick response to someone on Instagram looking for sparkly high heels in emerald green, for example, can redirect a potential customer to your online store and score a sale. </li></ul>
5. Experiment with paid marketing<p>Paid online marketing is definitely not for anyone who's just beginning with a side hustle, but it can be effective if your business is established, you've acquired a reasonable sales volume, but now you're stuck and don't seem to be able to increase your revenue further.</p> <p>You may be surprised to learn how affordable clicks from Facebook ads can be. Although these rates are consistently rising, <a href="https://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2019/11/12/facebook-ad-benchmarks" target="_blank">here are some benchmarks</a> from a few months ago that can give you a sense of what you might want to budget, based on your side hustle's business vertical.</p>
Effective promotion is your key to side hustle success<p>Your new side hustle is really important to you and you want to make it a success, but you can't do that if nobody knows about it. Social media marketing strategies, reviews, word of mouth, email signatures, and paid ads should all have a valued place in your side hustle marketing toolbox, to help you see success from your new business venture. </p>
A step-by-step guide to growing and monetizing your audience.
This platform utilizes unique AI to help you decide what photos work best.
- Stock photography companies emerged a century ago to help newspapers source images.
- The internet created an increased demand for captivating imagery to accompany articles.
- Finding images that catch a reader's eye is now one of the most important considerations of content companies, bloggers, and magazines.