Surrounding counties boast even higher increases.
- Los Angeles County claims nearly 59,000 homeless, a 12 percent increase, while the city itself is up 16 percent.
- It's not only LA: Orange County is up 42 percent; Alameda County, 43 percent; Kern County, 50 percent; and San Francisco, 17 percent.
- Angelenos need to make $47.52 an hour to afford the median rent price in the city.
New Zealand's recent budget policy puts the health and well-being of its citizens over economic growth.
- Economists and politicians have traditionally focused on economic growth to set policy and measure how citizens fare.
- New Zealand has become the first country to put well-being, not growth or production, at the center of its economic policy.
- Calls for "purposeful capitalism" are emerging in other countries, including the United States.
Soon, residents will be able to pick fruits and vegetables — for free.
- Atlanta recently passed a measure that will convert an undeveloped plot of land into a food forest that will include food-producing trees, shrubs, and vines.
- For years, thousands of Atlanta residents have lived in areas that don't provide easy access to fresh food — places called "food deserts."
- The Urban Food Forest seeks to bring fresh produce back into local neighborhoods, hopefully serving as a model for other cities.
A recent study gives new meaning to the saying "fake it 'til you make it."
- The study involves four experiments that measured individuals' socioeconomic status, overconfidence and actual performance.
- Results consistently showed that high-class people tend to overestimate their abilities.
- However, this overconfidence was misinterpreted as genuine competence in one study, suggesting overestimating your abilities can have social advantages.
Why do all of our virtual assistants have a female voice?
T3 Magazine / GETTY
- A new U.N. report claims that virtual assistants, such as Alexa and Siri, are reinforcing gender stereotypes.
- The report covers gender gaps in science, technology, and computer literacy.
- The reason why most virtual assistants are female may stem from the fact that consumers generally prefer the female voice.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.