Being a successful caregiver is part of today's definition of manhood.
- The biggest example of a change in men's gendered behavior in recent years is the transformation of fatherhood. Nowadays, the definition of manhood has increasingly included being a present, and good caregiver.
- Women have historically been burdened with childcare and housework. So much so that they usually longer off time off for parental leave. Also, they're the ones tending to take off work if their kid is sick. Because of this heavy role in parenting, many women have not been able to advance far in the workforce.
- By men doing half of the care work, it's boosted women's empowerment. It's also great for children's emotional development and well-being. It's also great for men, too, because, as a result of being a successful caregiver, men are more likely to build up a sense of empathy, which can help them in leadership positions.
Lauren Miranda sent a nude selfie to a boyfriend years ago. Somehow one of her students discovered it.
- Math teacher Lauren Miranda was fired from her Long Island school when a topless selfie surfaced.
- Miranda had only shared the photo with her ex-boyfriend, who is also a teacher in the school district.
- She's suing the school for $3 million as well as getting her job back, citing gender discrimination.
In her new Netflix special, Amy Schumer gets real about fear.
Jemal Countess / Stringer (Getty Images)
- In Growing, Amy Schumer says women fear violence most, while for men it's ridicule.
- She points to grade school, when boys being violent to girls is supposed to represent courting.
- About 91 percent of rape victims are women, creating a fear in women that men rarely have to endure.
Harassment isn't about your intention. It's about your impact, explains Michael Kaufman.
- In the #MeToo era, many men feel they're walking on eggshells and can't say anything anymore.
- Companies must refocus their policies away from 1,000 page "don't do this" manuals and address the gray areas that are most confusing, like: Can you give a colleague a compliment?
- Workplace harassment training should focus on the principle that sexual harassment is about impact of your words or actions; it's not about your intention.
Be a man? Why this once trusty advice now fails men.
- Male power is a paradox, says Michael Kaufman, author of The Time Has Come: Why Men Must Join the Gender Equality Revolution.
- Society is male-dominated, yet despite their advantages men still die younger than women, are more likely to commit suicide, to be in prison, and to be addicted to drugs.
- There is a growing movement that blames women for the so-called attack on masculinity, but Kaufman doesn't buy it. He blames the society that established uneven power in the first place, which naturally has friction in today's world.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.