Here's why financial independence doesn't mean free time forever.
- Vicki Robin and Joe Dominguez coauthored Your Money or Your Life in 1992, a now-classic finance book about liberating yourself from debt, waking up to obsessive materialism, and learning to be financially self-sufficient.
- Anyone interested in becoming financially independent and retiring early needs to ask one big question first: Who are you without your job? What would you do with your life if income were not the focus?
- The biggest myth? Retiring is not the end of work; it's only the end of your job. It is not free time forever. Vicki Robin warns that people who don't know what to do with their time may be headed for an identity crisis.
Inconceivable wealth. And a few lessons in how not to get rich, too.
- You've definitely heard of Apple. But what about the Dutch East India Company?
- Did a 1911 Supreme Court decision result in more millionaires in America than any other court case?
- One example of how not to do it: the rise and fall of the Mississippi Company.
The Seattle tech magnate died from complications of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- He co-founded Microsoft with Bill Gates in 1975.
- A major figure in Seattle, he revitalized the city landscape.
- As of his death, he was the 46th richest person in the world.
Why do Americans have so much debt?
Life in debt, the American way.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.