Advances in satellite imagery are shining a light.
- Today, there are 40.3 million slaves on the planet, more than the number of people living in Canada.
- Slavery can be hard to find, but it commonly occurs in several key industries like fishing and mining.
- Using satellite data, researchers and activists are using crowdsourcing and artificial intelligence to identify sites where slavery is taking place.
Throughout history, anarchists have been responsible for bombings and assassinations, including some very recent ones.
- Anarchism isn't always violent, but there's a reason why that stereotype has stuck.
- Throughout history, anarchists have tried to bomb and assassinate different targets – including Barack Obama.
- Here are 5 notable anarchist plots, ranging from centuries-old bombings to modern-day assassination attempts.
The controversial protest tactic has a checkered history.
- "Black blocs" are a common sight in protests.
- The black-garbed and masked protesters often commit acts of violence and vandalism, and the tactic is most commonly associated with anarchists.
- Learning about the history of the tactic and how its used can help you navigate and understand modern protest movements.
If a scientific study was conducted unethically, should publishers retract it?
- A new study suggests hundreds of published scientific papers involving organ transplants in China violated ethical standards.
- International professional standards say studies involving organ transplants shouldn't be published if the organs came from executed prisoners, or donors don't provide consent.
- China has long been accused of facilitating a shady network of organ harvesting and trafficking, though it's been difficult to prove.
One cardinal is accused of covering up sexual abuse. The other faces criminal charges in Australia.
- The cardinals have been removed from the pope's C-9 cabinet, an informal group designed to help restructure the bureaucracy of the Vatican.
- The cardinals have not been removed from the church.
- In February, the Vatican will host a conference to inform church leaders about the impacts of sexual abuse.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.