Researchers call this "intergenerational reciprocity."
What's key to successfully expanding your team? A leader who can hire smarter, not faster.
- In business, the role of a leader is often misunderstood.
- A true leader takes care of their people, especially when considering new hires.
- Leaders should take hiring decisions as seriously as adoption. Protecting the culture you've cultivated is more important than acquiring skills.
We have arrived: Big Think's most popular video of 2019 tells us light exists outside of time.
- Taking the #1 spot on Big Think's 2019 top 10 countdown, NASA's Michelle Thaller reminds us the only things that travel at the speed of light are photons.
- Nothing with any mass at all can travel at the speed of light because as it gets closer and closer to the speed of light, its mass increases. And if it were actually traveling at the speed of light, it would have an infinite mass.
- Light does not experience space or time. It's not just a speed going through something. All of the universe shifts around this constant, the speed of light. Time and space itself stop when you go that speed.
The idea of 'absolute time' is an illusion. Physics and subjective experience reveal why.
- Since Einstein posited his theory of general relativity, we've understood that gravity has the power to warp space and time.
- This "time dilation" effect occurs even at small levels.
- Outside of physics, we experience distortions in how we perceive time — sometimes to a startling extent.
Why does time flow in one direction? Why do humans perceive time so differently than it really is? Is there really a difference between the present, the past, and the future? These books explore these questions and more.
- Despite being immersed in it and inexorably propelled by it, we don't really understand time all that well.
- Fortunately, we can rely on the minds of our smartest writers to give us a good understanding of the one thing we all can't get enough of.
- This list of books on time ranges from the complicated to the straightforward, the historical to the speculative, the scientific to the literary, and more.