Professor George Church creates a gene "wishlist" that can lead to superhuman abilities.
- Harvard geneticist George Church makes a list of genes that could be modified to enhance human abilities.
- The list tracks both positive and negative effects.
- Redesigning humans can lead to posthumans or transhumans.
A unique 3D model allows researchers to explore embryonic development.
- Researchers observe the beginning of embryonic stem cells dividing into upper and lower body sections.
- An interdisciplinary team invents an impressively accurate 10-day-old "embryoid."
- The team's model may be important to other future research on pregnancy.
Our clever human hands may soon be outdone.
- MIT-affiliated researchers develop a hypersensitive glove that can capture the way in which we handle objects.
- The data captured by the glove can be "learned" by a neural net.
- Smart tactile interaction will be invaluable when A.I.-based robots start to interact with objects — and us.
Synthetic biology is changing the way the planet works.
One fact about our time is becoming increasingly well-known. No matter how far you travel, no matter in which direction you point, there is nowhere on Earth that remains free from the traces of human activity.
What gives us color now may give rise to our cyborg future.
- Eumelanin is a mildly conductive type of melanin that produces dark pigmentation in hair, eyes, and skin.
- Researchers have just found a way to boost its conductivity without adding foreign materials.
- Eulemanin may be useable as a coating for implanted devices the body won't reject.