Among women, bisexuality is statistically on the rise.
Psychologists looked at how liberals and conservatives react after learning about "white privilege".
- Psychologists looked at how liberals and conservatives viewed poor people after learning about "white privilege".
- Conservatives didn't show much sympathy for poor people regardless of race.
- Liberals seemed to blame poor white people for their problems.
Don't denigrate immigrants, says Jared Diamond. You are one.
- Every American, without exception, is an immigrant. Native Americans immigrated 13,000 years ago, and everybody else has immigrated within the last 400 years.
- The decision to emigrate is made by people who are healthy, strong, willing to undertake risks, and face the unknown. Those are also essential qualities for innovating.
- It's no coincidence that the great majority of American Nobel Prize winners are either first-generation immigrants or the children of first-generation immigrants.
Landlords aren't the ones getting rich off of renting properties; slumlords are.
- A new study examined the profits of landlords across Milwaukee and compared them to landlord profits nationwide.
- They found that for every 10 percent increase in neighborhood poverty, renter exploitation increased by 2.2 percent in Milwaukee and 0.8 percent nationwide. What's more, for every 10 percent increase in black residents, renter exploitation increased by 0.8 percent for both Milwaukee and the nation.
- This effect ensures that the poor remain poor; since the poor have no choice but to pay rent when they can, any money they could save up is instead siphoned away by landlords.
Some are worried this represents an Orwellian move. At heart, it's not.
- Last week, Facebook announced it would remove all white nationalist content from its main platform, as well as Instagram.
- When someone posts white nationalist content they will now be redirected to the nonprofit organization, Life After Hate.
- White nationalist groups actively recruit new members on social media platforms, aided by algorithms.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.