"It is almost impossible to put into words the difference that Alan Turing made to society."
- The late British mathematician and theoretical computer scientist Alan Turing will appear on Britain's 50-pound note starting in 2021.
- Turing is best known for helping to crack the Nazis' Enigma machine, a feat that's estimated to have cut World War II short by two years.
- The British government, which chemically castrated Turing in 1952 for "homosexual acts," officially apologized to Turing in 2009.
It's far earlier than most teams currently do.
Bruce Bennett / Staff
- A 2018 study used data from the 2015–2016 NHL season to conduct an analysis on the advantages of pulling the goalie.
- The results suggest the optimal time to be about three times earlier than convention calls for.
- The authors believe the results have implications in areas outside of hockey, such as investing.
The Pew Research Group gave a survey on the most important life skills to several thousand Americans. Here's what they said.
- People are obsessed with learning about what skills they need the most to get ahead in life.
- To try to answer this question, the Pew Research Group surveyed several thousand Americans to identify what most believed were critical life skills.
- Here, we discuss the top three life skills, what their characteristics are, and how to improve them.
Why is math the universal language? NASA's Michelle Thaller solves that one.
- Mathematics has snowballed from counting to 10 on our fingers, to calculus, to abstract concepts like imaginary numbers that move in 11 dimensions and predict particles physics.
- The math that led us down the rabbit hole of quantum mechanics is bizarre and while we can crunch the numbers, we can't really understand what they mean.
- If the math confirms that particles can move in 11 dimensions, is that a fundamental truth of the universe?
Go ahead, try and be different.
- Anti-conformists have an odd way of ending up looking like each other.
- A Brandeis mathematician looks at how this synchronicity occurs.
- Understanding the mechanism behind non-conformist conformity has applications in other areas, like the stock market.