As religious diversity increases in the United States, we must learn to channel religious identity into interfaith cooperation.
- Religious diversity is the norm in American life, and that diversity is only increasing, says Eboo Patel.
- Using the most painful moment of his life as a lesson, Eboo Patel explains why it's crucial to be positive and proactive about engaging religious identity towards interfaith cooperation.
- The opinions expressed in this video do not necessarily reflect the views of the Charles Koch Foundation, which encourages the expression of diverse viewpoints within a culture of civil discourse and mutual respect.
Religion does not have a monopoly on meaning.
- Meaning is a relative term, though some religious sects claim to have a stronghold on a definition.
- While meaning is possible through doctrine, there are other ways to find meaning in life.
- The story of activist and model, Halima Aden, highlights how meaning can come from many angles.
Both panoramic and detailed, this infographic manages to show both the size and distribution of world religions.
- At a glance, this map shows both the size and distribution of world religions.
- See how religions mix at both national and regional level.
- There's one country in the Americas without a Christian majority – which?
A new study has investigated who watched the ISIS beheading videos, why, and what effect it had on them
This is the first study to explore not only what percentage of people in the general population choose to watch videos of graphic real-life violence, but also why.
In the summer of 2014, two videos were released that shocked the world. They showed the beheadings, by ISIS, of two American journalists – first, James Foley and then Steven Sotloff. Though the videos were widely discussed on TV, print and online news, most outlets did not show the full footage. However, it was not difficult to find links to the videos online.
Surprisingly, many of the world's most popular religions have a lot to do with anarchy.
- Anarchists aren't typically portrayed as particularly religious; instead, we think of them as violent anti-authoritarians.
- While many modern anarchists rankle at today's religious organizations, the elements of these faiths often express a lot of ideas that anarchists express as well.
- Here are 4 major religions and how they connect back to anarchy.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.