A meteorite that smashed into a frozen lake in Michigan may explain the origins of life on Earth, finds study.
- A new paper reveals a meteorite that crashed in Michigan in 2018 contained organic matter.
- The findings support the panspermia theory and could explain the origins of life on Earth.
- The organic compounds on the meteorite were well-preserved.
Meteor streaks through Michigan sky<span style="display:block;position:relative;padding-top:56.25%;" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="80b7f30820153b35fc515592d7475f53"><iframe type="lazy-iframe" data-runner-src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EPu2qnqMYBo?rel=0" width="100%" height="auto" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;"></iframe></span>
The meteorite that smashed into Strawberry Lake carried pristine extraterrestrial organic compounds.
Credit: Field Museum
New research proposes possible origins of the interstellar object 'Oumuamua.
- A new paper suggests a star's tidal forces could have created 'Oumuamua.
- The interstellar object 'Oumuamua was first spotted in 2017.
- The object is known for its elongated shape and unusual trajectory.
Simulation showing the interstellar object 'Oumuamua as a collection of fragments in an elongated shape.
Credit: ZHANG Yun/background by ESO/M. Kornmesser
The effects of a tidal disruption by a star on a space object.
Credit: NAOC/Y. Zhang
Was Oumuamua an alien spaceship? No. Here’s what it is.<div class="rm-shortcode" data-media_id="VgOxsaal" data-player_id="FvQKszTI" data-rm-shortcode-id="b9e6745586fb2292423d479e8a22ee81"> <div id="botr_VgOxsaal_FvQKszTI_div" class="jwplayer-media" data-jwplayer-video-src="https://content.jwplatform.com/players/VgOxsaal-FvQKszTI.js"> <img src="https://cdn.jwplayer.com/thumbs/VgOxsaal-1920.jpg" class="jwplayer-media-preview" /> </div> <script src="https://content.jwplatform.com/players/VgOxsaal-FvQKszTI.js"></script> </div>
First contact movies had their Golden Age in 1980s America – now they're going global.
- The first extra-terrestrial to make contact (in a movie) appeared in 1920s Germany.
- ET set off a wave of 'first contact' movies in the 1980s.
- Many recent alien-landing movies are set in China and India – the future of the genre may well be Asian.
Alien landings in the U.S.<img type="lazy-image" data-runner-src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8xOTE3NDYwOC9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY2MTczNjU4M30.PDThiOyADmO-AmKOJpV0HuxPy6z7zBjvH9hYXMRliyM/img.png?width=980" id="03183" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="31b19848aef4a50a01ef3f0f2585ed60" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
Alien landings in the rest of the world<img type="lazy-image" data-runner-src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8xOTE3NDYxNC9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYzMTQwMzM5NX0.Cp573Ex9aihUpb2msy02rrjjYyOIF6kF6-JLpeD_sa8/img.png?width=980" id="b5a98" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="d81ab29a0c11a3862d80aef3ba1f3d56" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
Researchers discover extraterrestrial origins of a chemical essential for human DNA and other cell processes.
- Scientists create interstellar icy grains in a super-cold experiment.
- They show that phosphates forms under these conditions.
- Phosphates are crucial building blocks in molecular biology.
An MIT astronomer famously explained why aliens haven't contacted us yet.