First contact movies had their Golden Age in 1980s America – now they're going global.
- The first extra-terrestrial to make contact (in a movie) appeared in 1920s Germany.
- ET set off a wave of 'first contact' movies in the 1980s.
- Many recent alien-landing movies are set in China and India – the future of the genre may well be Asian.
Researchers discover extraterrestrial origins of a chemical essential for human DNA and other cell processes.
- Scientists create interstellar icy grains in a super-cold experiment.
- They show that phosphates forms under these conditions.
- Phosphates are crucial building blocks in molecular biology.
An MIT astronomer famously explained why aliens haven't contacted us yet.
There are several ways alien life could travel across space, scientists say.
Cosmonaut Anton Shkaplerov lit a wildfire recently when he announced his team had found alien bacteria clinging to the outside of the International Space Station (ISS). It took place during a spacewalk several years ago. Those samples were returned to Earth and have been analyzed recently by Roscosmos—the Russian space agency. He claims Roscosmos scientists conclude the bacteria isn’t from Earth. One thing is for sure, there’s living bacteria clinging to the outside of the ISS! Whether it’s extraterrestrial or not is another matter.
Greatest job ever? NASA will pay six-figures to a Planetary Protection Officer.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.