Worryingly, these are not just two random collections of countries, but two blocs with a lot of pre-existing enmity.
- The U.S. has urged the world to 'pick sides' in Venezuela's constitutional crisis.
- This map shows which countries continue to support Maduro, and which ones have thrown their weight behind Guaidó.
- Could this be the first intimation of a new Cold War – or worse?
"This is a great example of a forest restoration plan which is both good for the people and good for nature," one researcher said.
- Brazil's Atlantic Forest is one of the world's most biodiverse regions, but relentless deforestation threatens hundreds of species of plants and animals.
- Recently, a team of researchers created a computer program designed to optimize how forest land can best be used.
- The approach could be used by governments and organizations in other parts of the world to maximize biodiversity gains while minimizing economic losses.
The Nazis actively searched for Atlantis, seeing it as important to their mythology.
- The mythical city of Atlantis was first mentioned in Plato's writings.
- Top Nazis, including Heimlich Himmler, tried to find the city through expeditions.
- The island was key to Nazi thinking about the "Aryan race".
Officials with the departments of Homeland Security and Defense announced the deployments Monday at a press conference.
- Two large groups of migrants are currently traveling north through Mexico toward the U.S.
- About 5,200 U.S. troops will be sent to supplement 2,100 National Guardsmen already assisting officials at the U.S.-Mexico border.
- Officials said migrants will be treated humanely, but won't be allowed to cross the U.S.-Mexico border.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.