Many governments do not report, or misreport, the numbers of refugees who enter their country.
New research suggests that a healthy supply of locally-sourced beer helped maintain the unity of the widespread Wari civilization for about 500 years.
- A new analysis of an ancient Wari brewery suggests chicha helped maintain the civilization's social capital for hundreds of years.
- Civilizations throughout the ancient world used alcoholic drinks to signify kinship, hospitality, and social cohesion.
- The researchers hope their findings will remind us of the importance in reaffirming social institutions and sharing cultural practices — even if over coffee or tea.
Worryingly, these are not just two random collections of countries, but two blocs with a lot of pre-existing enmity.
- The U.S. has urged the world to 'pick sides' in Venezuela's constitutional crisis.
- This map shows which countries continue to support Maduro, and which ones have thrown their weight behind Guaidó.
- Could this be the first intimation of a new Cold War – or worse?
"This is a great example of a forest restoration plan which is both good for the people and good for nature," one researcher said.
- Brazil's Atlantic Forest is one of the world's most biodiverse regions, but relentless deforestation threatens hundreds of species of plants and animals.
- Recently, a team of researchers created a computer program designed to optimize how forest land can best be used.
- The approach could be used by governments and organizations in other parts of the world to maximize biodiversity gains while minimizing economic losses.
The Nazis actively searched for Atlantis, seeing it as important to their mythology.
- The mythical city of Atlantis was first mentioned in Plato's writings.
- Top Nazis, including Heimlich Himmler, tried to find the city through expeditions.
- The island was key to Nazi thinking about the "Aryan race".