That's five more unicorns than the previous three years combined.
- Five female-led tech startups have achieved unicorn status — $1B valuation — this year.
- Ellevest CEO and cofounder Sallie Krawcheck says that women need to begin negotiating on day one in their career.
- Krawcheck also notes that the upcoming "retirement savings crisis" is really a women's crisis.
You can say 'no' to things, and you should. Do it like this.
- Give yourself permission to say "no" to things. Saying yes to everything is a fast way to burn out.
- Learn to say no in a way that keeps the door of opportunity open: No should never be a one-word answer. Say "No, but I could do this instead," or, "No, but let me connect you to someone who can help."
- If you really want to say yes but can't manage another commitment, try qualifiers like "yes, if," or "yes, after."
Seemingly small moments of discrimination often pass unnoticed.
- While the #metoo movement has focused on sexual misconduct, there are many ways discrimination pervades society.
- Wearing makeup should be a choice, not a male-directed demand, many women stated in an informal survey.
- Since going makeup free in 2016, Alicia Keys says it has been empowering.
What is 'mom guilt'? It's a symptom of the tragic state of America's parental leave policies.
- America's poor family leave policies for new parents are the reason why 'mom guilt' is universal – but that guilt is unreasonable, says Smith Brody.
- 'Dad guilt' is not a term, but men should also be part of this conversation.
- For every month of parental leave that a father takes, the mom's lifetime earnings increase by 7%. Studies prove fathers who take parental leave ultimately have better relationships with their teenage children.
When it comes to the workplace, more diversity means more money.
- While the workplace is slowly diversifying, some industries have been slow to change.
- A growing body of research is uncovering that workplaces with greater diversity actual perform better. One of the clearest examples of this effect is in venture capitalism, where nearly all venture capitalists are white, male, Harvard graduates.
- When VC firms hire more women, their effectiveness and profitability explodes.