New research shows that aimlessness can be fatal.
- New research examined the association between life purpose and mortality and found that individuals who felt they had no purpose in life tended to die earlier.
- Study participants with low life purpose scores typically died from cardiovascular and digestive tract conditions.
- The researchers speculate that this could be due to elevated and chronic inflammation caused by a low sense of psychological well-being.
The Pew Research Group gave a survey on the most important life skills to several thousand Americans. Here's what they said.
- People are obsessed with learning about what skills they need the most to get ahead in life.
- To try to answer this question, the Pew Research Group surveyed several thousand Americans to identify what most believed were critical life skills.
- Here, we discuss the top three life skills, what their characteristics are, and how to improve them.
Don't wait for happiness — start there instead.
Not all moms would travel into the African bush or drain their life savings just to help their kids realize their dreams.
- Mother's Day is Sunday, May 12.
- Philip Seymour Hoffman, Jane Goodall, and Elon Musk all received extraordinary support from their mothers.
- Without this support, these innovators' careers probably would've turned out much differently.
- We all exprience self-doubt — sometimes called 'imposter syndrome'.
- NASA astronomer Michelle Thaller explains how the universe itself has been a salve for her fears.
- The universe chooses people to be interested it, she says. What has the universe chosen you for?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.