Clinical studies are underway. How we treat them moving forward matters.
- Michael Ehlers, a former executive at Biogen and Pfizer, has assumed an advisory role with Field Trip, a psychedelics research organization.
- Ehlers has followed the science of psychedelics for more than a decade and is excited by the potential for therapeutic applications.
- MDMA and psilocybin have been granted breakthrough therapy status by the FDA, signaling a shift in the future of mental health treatment.
A new study analyzed more than 1.5 billion opioid prescriptions over eight years.
- A new study analyzed over 1.5 billion opioid prescriptions between 2011 and 2018.
- Researchers discovered opioid prescription reductions of 11.8 percent and 4.2 percent in states that passed recreational and medical cannabis laws.
- The U.S. government needs to reschedule cannabis because researchers believe it has therapeutic value.
David Bienenstock has made it his mission to keep the history of cannabis alive.
- Cannabis journalists David Bienenstock and Abdullah Saeed launched Great Moments in Weed History to share the history of marijuana.
- They cover hilarious and amazing weed tales about Willie Nelson. Louis Armstrong, Barack Obama, and Fela Kuti.
- In this interview with Big Think, Bienenstock says it's essential to keep the history of marijuana alive in the corporatized age.
Veterinarians are concerned. Consumers appear not to be.
- The pet CBD industry, valued at $8 million in 2017, is expected to grow to $1.16 billion by 2022.
- Despite the hype, there have been few clinical studies conducted on pets.
- While there is evidence of its potential therapeutic value, all evidence points to much higher dosages than offered on the consumer market.
While legalization has benefits, a new study suggests it may have one big drawback.
- A new study finds that rates of marijuana use and addiction have gone up in states that have recently legalized the drug.
- The problem was most severe for those over age of 26, with cases of addiction rising by a third.
- The findings complicate the debate around legalization.