From literature to physics, the annual Nobel Prizes aim to highlight the most groundbreaking achievements in every field.
- Each year, the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences awards six Nobel Prizes.
- The categories are: literature, physics, chemistry, peace, economics, and physiology & medicine.
- The Nobel prizes will be announced each business-day until October 14.
Existential dread, meet astronomical wonder.
- The universe is huge, and we're not. This fact has given rise to countless existential crises.
- You don't have to be left in dread after looking at the night sky, however.
- Astronomer Michelle Thaller has an excellent meditation on why the vastness of space can be revitalizing.
The famed German filmmaker offers his thoughts on reading during Eric Weinstein's podcast.
- During Eric Weinstein's podcast, The Portal, Werner Herzog said that reading is essential for any creative endeavor.
- In the past, Herzog has stated that you can't be a filmmaker without a regular reading habit.
- Herzog's reading list includes classics by Virgil and J.A. Baker, and even the report on JFK's assassination.
Experts' thoughts on this unique emotional state.
- These books take a deep dive into the psychological and philosophical implications of schadenfreude.
- Overall, the authors believe that schadenfreude is a fundamental and universal emotion.
- It stems from a number of unique psychological and social conditions.
"A serious party neglects the underlying virtues of playfulness and generosity that make a party authentic."
Existentialism has a reputation for being angst-ridden and gloomy mostly because of its emphasis on pondering the meaninglessness of existence, but two of the best-known existentialists knew how to have fun in the face of absurdity.