Books that will sharpen the youthful mind.
- Allegories like Orwell's Animal Farm take complex ideas and turn them into an approachable tale.
- Aesop's Fables ancient insight is still relevant for any human growing up today.
- The Little Prince teaches children to view the world through a more wondrous lens of reality.
Since the advent of communication, humans have used stories to create meaningful lives.
- "An experience of being alive" is what mythologist Joseph Campbell said humans strive for.
- Though we live in an age of distraction, short videos still tell big stories.
- That said, losing a connection to the environment to stare at a screen has disastrous consequences.
Modern notions about the Illuminati are the result of a satirical cult-classic book.
- The historical Illuminati was a failed 18th century Bavarian secret society.
- Current Illuminati conspiracies stem from a satirical '70s counterculture book.
- Authors Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson's intent was to sow chaotic disinformation just for the satire.
The distance between the American dream and reality is expressed best through literature.
- Literature expands our ability to feel empathy and inspires compassion.
- These 10 novels tackle some facet of the American experience.
- The list includes a fictional retelling of the first Native American to graduate from Harvard, and hiding out in inner-city Newark.
Though written for his students, the lessons can be applied by any essay writer.
- The best way to improve your thinking is to learn how to write, says Jordan Peterson.
- His 10-step process for writing an essay is time consuming, but the benefits are worth it.
- From the granular to the macro, every facet of writing a solid essay is covered in his template.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.