It turns out light can not only be twisted, but at different speeds.
- An unsuspected property of light, called "self-torque," had just been discovered.
- The discovery will allow scientists to control the behavior of light in a new way.
- The potential applications are still being worked out, but look very exciting.
Light exists outside of time.
- The only things that travel at the speed of light are photons.
- Nothing with any mass at all can travel at the speed of light because as it gets closer and closer to the speed of light, its mass increases. And if it were actually traveling at the speed of light, it would have an infinite mass.
- Light does not experience space or time. It's not just a speed going through something. All of the universe shifts around this constant, the speed of light. Time and space itself stop when you go that speed.
Scientists at GW School of Engineering and Applied Science develop a prototype solar panel that captures nearly double the amount of energy from light.
Irish scientists make an unexpected discovery about light by devising a new experiment.
Light is a well-studied area and it’s not easy to make a transformative discovery in this field, but Irish scientists from Trinity College Dublin have done just that. They discovered a new form of light which is characterized by unique angular momentum.