The keto diet can help with weight loss, but at what cost?
- In addition to weight loss, there are a few well-known side effects of the keto diet, some of which can be unpleasant.
- Some side effects of the keto diet are bound to occur, though others only happen when the diet is implemented poorly.
- The keto diet doesn't have to lead to a host of negative side effects, but anyone considering undertaking the diet over the long term should be especially careful.
Nikolaas Tinbergen's concept of "supernormal stimulus" explains why humans are attracted to a heightened version of reality.
- According to Pornhub's annual statistics, "hentai" and "cartoons" were among the most popular categories in 2018.
- Such pornography is a supernormal stimulus, an artificial object that triggers an animal's instinctual response more intensely than natural analogs.
- Supernormal stimuli not only explain our heightened response to pornography, but also art, junk food, and social media.
If the universe is expanding in all directions, why is Andromeda hurtling toward the Milky Way?
- The Andromeda Galaxy and our Milky Way are on a collision course that will obliterate life on Earth 4.5 billion years from now.
- The universe is expanding in all directions, all at once – so why are Andromeda and the Milky Way drawing nearer? The gravity between them is a stronger force than expansion.
- The rate of expansion is accelerating. If it continues to speed up, its force may become strong enough pull things apart that are currently held together by superior forces: Our galaxy, the solar system, and even the atoms in our bodies. That possible ending to the universe is known as the 'Big Rip'.
Interestingly, electrically stimulating the cingulum bundle also seems to reduce anxiety.
- In a study of epilepsy patients undergoing electrical stimulation brain mapping, scientists discovered that the stimulation of the cingulum bundle reliably produced laughter, smiles and calm feelings.
- The findings could someday help scientists develop better treatments for anxiety, depression and chronic pain.
- One obstacle preventing this kind of treatment from becoming accessible is that it requires invasive surgery, though improved technology could someday change that.
The psychological disconnect between humans and other animals puts all forms of life at risk.
- As part of the EU Withdrawal Bill, British MPs refused to recognize animal sentience.
- Yet it is well-documented that animals feel a range of feelings, including pain.
- The delusional idea that only humans experience emotions has lead to a variety of catastrophic problems, such as mass factory farming
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.