The issues that determine your health go way beyond seeing your doctor.
- The average American spends about 24 hours a year at the doctor's office.
- What you do the other 364 days a year mostly determines your health.
- Michael Dowling discusses Northwell's focus on environmental, social, economic and other social determinants of health.
Spicy foods are enjoyed the world over, but scientists don't know why people partake in culinary masochism.
- Humans are the only animals known to willingly eat foods that cause irritation, discomfort, and even pain.
- Theories for why range from thrill-seeking behavior to an evolutionary adaptation for seeking foods that reduce pathogens.
- Taste results from an interplay of genes, culture, memory, and personality, a complex design that scientists are only now beginning to understand.
Just because the keto diet is an effective weight-loss tool doesn't mean everyone should try it.
- The keto diet might be a fad diet, but it's unique in that involves putting the body into an alternate and natural metabolic state.
- However, the diet likely isn't safe for everyone, particularly when it's implemented poorly.
- Children, pregnant women, breastfeeding women and those at risk for heart disease should understand the risks of the keto diet before experimenting with it.
Surprise, surprise: The U.S. isn't even close to the top of the list.
- Bloomberg recently released its annual index of the world's healthiest countries, which it compiles by grading countries on factors such as smoking rates, access to clean water, obesity, sanitation and more.
- Spain topped the list this year — thanks in part to the nation's healthy Mediterranean diet, the report suggested.
- The U.S. ranked 35th, likely due in part to poor American eating habits.
Eating a doughnut isn't the only way you can go wrong on the keto diet.
- The high-fat, low-carb keto diet involves putting your body into a natural metabolic state called ketosis.
- When done responsibly, the keto diet can yield a wide range of benefits, most notably weight loss.
- Some people have less luck than others on the keto diet because they make a few common mistakes, including failing to drink enough water, eating too many unhealthy fats, and not realizing which foods might kick them out of ketosis.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.