The 2020 Democratic candidate's plan to give Americans a universal basic income seems to include a special provision for truckers.
Photo credit: ROSLAN RAHMAN / Contributor
- Andrew Yang is a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate who's made technology and automation central to his campaign.
- Yang says the U.S. needs a plan for how to manage the upcoming loss of millions of American trucking jobs to self-driving vehicles.
- Yang wants to tax profits from self-driving trucks to give these laid-off truckers a "severance package."
TuSimple, an autonomous trucking company, has also engaged in test programs with the United States Postal Service and Amazon.
PAUL RATJE / Contributor
- This week, UPS announced that it's working with autonomous trucking startup TuSimple on a pilot project to deliver cargo in Arizona using self-driving trucks.
- UPS has also acquired a minority stake in TuSimple.
- TuSimple hopes its trucks will be fully autonomous — without a human driver — by late 2020, though regulatory questions remain.
Maura O'Connor discusses her new book, Wayfinding: The Science and Mystery of How Humans Navigate the World.
- Science writer Maura O'Connor spent four years traveling the world to better understand how humans navigate their terrain.
- She writes "getting lost is a uniquely human problem," noting that other species don't have issues navigating.
- While the book is not anti-technology, O'Connor questions our reliance on GPS and self-driving cars.
Combined with high-capacity public transport, AVs could remove 9 out of every 10 cars in a mid-sized European city.
The pizza giant Domino's partners with a Silicon Valley startup to start delivering pizza by robots.
- Domino's partnered with the Silicon Valley startup Nuro to have robot cars deliver pizza.
- The trial run will begin in Houston later this year.
- The robots will be half a regular car and will need to be unlocked by a PIN code.