A new research article states that the obesity epidemic is affecting more than just waistlines.
- While the cost of food waste is high, the environmental impact of obesity is even higher.
- According to researchers in Italy, obesity results in an extra 140 billion tons of food consumption every year.
- Obesity costs Americans $1.72 trillion in healthcare costs and is now the leading cause of death.
A group of at least 20 kids in Spain gets a rare illness with historical roots.
- A group of children in Spain develops a rare illness called hypertrichosis or "werewolf syndrome".
- The illness was caused by a medicine mixup.
- Hypertrichosis has been documented throughout history in images.
Exercise newbies in their seventies and eighties build muscle at the same rate as master athletes.
- Researchers at the University of Birmingham compared master athletes in their seventies and eighties with non-exercising seniors.
- Regardless of previous conditioning levels, the seniors' ability to create new muscle is the same.
- This inspiring news is an important reminder that fitness gains are possible at any age.
Experts are saying it's a "huge step forward for synthetic biology."
- Until recently, the gene-editing tool CRISPR has only been able to make changes within single genes.
- The new tools allow scientists to cut and splice larger chunks of genetic material.
- The findings will likely have major implications for a variety of research fields, and also allow researchers to create synthetic species that can produce molecules not made by natural organisms.
A new study challenges international life expectancies.