A NASA astronomer explains how astronauts dispose of their, uh, dark matter.
- When nature calls in micro-gravity, astronauts must answer. Space agencies have developed suction-based toilets – with a camera built in to ensure all the waste is contained before "flushing".
- Yes, there have been floaters in space. The early days of space exploration were a learning curve!
- Amazingly, you don't need gravity to digest food. Peristalsis, the process by which your throat and intestines squeeze themselves, actually moves food and water through your digestive system without gravity at all.
A definition of death is surprisingly malleable, leading to complications when it comes to organ donation.
- The latest Hastings Center Report is dedicated to the question of defining death.
- Definitions of death are not only biological, but cultural, leading to important questions about organ donation.
- The brain can continue to be electrically active for five minutes after cardiac death—valuable time for patients in need of transplants.
The American Psychological Association recently released guidelines for treating boys and men. Men aren't happy about it.
- APA Guidelines for the Psychological Practice of Boys and Men represents the first time the association has published rules specifically for treating white, Western males.
- Though the guidelines are data-driven and therapeutically sound, a corner of the American Right (and some on the Left) has taken offense.
- Men still dominate statistics in a number of categories, including suicide rates, substance abuse, and violence.
6 keys to warding off premature death.
- Getting older is inevitable. But with diet, exercise, and some insight into how the human body works, you can do your best to keep your body from aging prematurely.
- Meal timing, combined with 12 hours of fasting, can actually do more for your body than you might realize.
- Did you know stress can literally alter your DNA? And did you know that biological ways to combat the stress can even be passed down to your kids?
A breakthrough app for ultrasonic squeak analysis.
- Mice have a vocabulary of about 20 different phrases.
- A clever new neural-network-based application reveals what mice used in research say.
- Spoiler: The conversation changes when a female shows up
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.