An online tool listed the home of the Black Panther as a trading partner of the United States.
- A USDA web tool designed to list countries who have free trade with the United States listed Wakanda among them this week.
- Wakanda is a fictional country from the Marvel superhero movies.
- The error was quickly found and explained away.
The vaccine is 97.5% effective in protecting against the Zaire species of Ebola, according to the World Health Organization.
- The European Medicines Agency granted special approval for an Ebola vaccine called Ervebo.
- Ervebo has proven remarkably effective in clinical trials conducted in Africa.
- An Ebola outbreak has killed more than 2,000 people in the Democratic Republic of Congo since August 2018.
These maps show surprising juxtapositions of ancient and modern toponyms of the Mother Continent.
- "Africa" is just one of the ancient names that competed to define the entire continent.
- Geographical terms like Sudan, Maghreb, and Guinea have remarkably wide and changeable areas of application.
- Newly independent African nations sometimes adopted names of former kingdoms – even faraway ones.
A DNA study looks for the home of the earliest modern humans.
- A DNA study traces the homeland of modern humans to the Makgadikgadi-Okavango wetland.
- The area is shared by the modern-day countries of Botswana, Namibia and Zimbabwe.
- The researchers drew conclusions from the mitochondrial DNA of humans living in that area today, but some scientists question their methodology.
Norway plans to pay Gabon $150 million to protect its vast network of rainforests.
- At the Climate Action Summit in New York on Sunday, Norway announced plans to pay the Gabon $150 million over 10 years to combat deforestation and cut emissions.
- Rainforests cover some 88 percent of Gabon, but in recent years illegal logging has ravaged much of the country.
- The deal is part of the United Nations' Central African Forest Initiative (CAFI), which helps six African nations to develop conservation plans.