Skip to content
Personal Growth

Togo Attacked

The Togo national soccer team considers whether to withdraw from the Africa Cup tournament after its bus was ambushed by militants.

“Togo’s national football squad is considering whether to withdraw from the Africa Cup of Nations in Angola after their bus came under fire. The driver of the bus was killed and nine other people were wounded, including two players, in the attack, claimed by separatist fighters in Cabinda province. Emmanuel Adebayor, the Togo team captain, said that the squad would hold a meeting to discuss whether or not to stay for the tournament, seven matches of which are scheduled to be held in the region. Organisers have said that the tournament, which is due to kick off on Sunday, will go ahead, but African football officials will meet the Angolan government beforehand to seek assurances that players would be protected. Issa Hayatou, the president of the Confederation of African Football, will meet Paulo Kassoma, the prime minister, in Luanda, the capital on Saturday. However, local official questioned why the team were travelling by bus rather than air. The Togo team had been training in DR Congo and were travelling to Angola by bus ahead of their match against Ghana on Monday.”


Related
Angolan security forces have arrested two people following a deadly attack on Togo’s football team at the Africa Cup of Nations tournament.
While the Togo PM calls on the national soccer team to return home following the killing of three players the team wants to stay and compete in their honor.

Up Next