NASA to Make Revolutionary Mission to the Sun
In 2018, the space program is scheduled to launch a probe that will get closer to the sun than any craft before it, measuring data in the star's outer corona where temperatures are hellish.
What's the Latest Development?
NASA has selected which scientific experiments will fly on the Solar Probe Plus spacecraft bound for the sun's outer corona in 2018, where temperatures reach millions of degrees Fahrenheit. Given the 88 pound weight limit, there was only enough room for five experiments. And all the experiments have a power budget of only 40 watts (about the same as your refrigerator light). One which made the cut will measure the electrons, protons and helium ions present in the solar wind. Another will take digital, 3D images of the sun's corona.
What's the Big Idea?
The sun's corona, most visible during a solar eclipse, extends millions of miles away from the sun's surface. And after being looped around Venus, the Solar Probe Plus craft will approach the sun within 3.7 million miles, much closer than any mission before. The mission asks two central questions: "How does the corona, that ghostly, spiked halo seen during a total solar eclipse, heat to more than a million degrees, far hotter than the sun's surface? And what powers the solar wind, the stream of charged particles that flows from the corona?"
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.