A unique 3D model allows researchers to explore embryonic development.
- Researchers observe the beginning of embryonic stem cells dividing into upper and lower body sections.
- An interdisciplinary team invents an impressively accurate 10-day-old "embryoid."
- The team's model may be important to other future research on pregnancy.
Stems cells have always been pretty amazing.
- New research indicates animals' oldest ancestor was not sponges' single-celled choanocyte bacteria as previously thought.
- It appears our earliest predecessors were something like modern stem cells.
- Our lineage just lost its founding member. The search for our true first predecessor is on!
Scientists have grown a model human esophagus using pluripotent stem cells for the first time.
- By precisely timing the application of different chemicals, scientists have grown a small, model esophagus from stem cells.
- They used the model esophagus to clarify why a certain congenital condition occurs.
- Using this technique, future researchers will be able to understand the nature of diseases better, develop new treatments, and even repair damaged esophagi.
Human egg cells can now be created from donor blood — a brave new world is upon us.
- Japanese scientists have successfully created immature human egg cells using stem cells.
- The discovery builds on years of research into the uses of stem cells.
- While the prospects for new fertility treatments are promising, the ethical questions raised by the procedure will have to be answered.
It's a development that could one day lead to much better treatments for osteoporosis, joint damage, and bone fractures.
- Scientists have isolated skeletal stem cells in adult and fetal bones for the first time.
- These cells could one day help treat damaged bone and cartilage.
- The team was able to grow skeletal stem cells from cells found within liposuctioned fat.