Here's what it means to be a good leader—no buzzwords, no bullsh*t.
- The psychology of leadership is a mess, says Jordan Peterson, because it's clouded by "management idiot speak." One example? A leader's job isn't to motivate people; it's to tap into people's sense of purpose. Motivation is the byproduct.
- Lead your team like a free society, not a dictatorship. Based on developmental psychologist Jean Piaget's observations, Peterson emphasizes the importance of an equilibrated state, which is "a situation that's set up by two or more people where everyone is participating in the state voluntarily."
- Authoritarian-style leadership ("Do this or else") is a terrible way to run a team. Good leadership means finding people who want to contribute. Otherwise, says Peterson, "the enforcement costs are so high that the free society will outcompete the authoritarian society across time."
Why this $600 million business isn't about money.
- Problem solving doesn't have to involve numbers. Sometimes it just involves connecting dots between markets, and simple experiments based on data.
- These tweaks can make huge differences in people's lives. And anyone can do it, as social design can life entire communities.
- People who participate in social design learn how to apply it in the future, making social design a learnable and transferable skill.
Detailed (and beautiful) information on 57 million crop fields across the U.S. and Europe are now available online.
- Using satellite images and artificial intelligence, OneSoil wants to make 'precision farming' available to the world.
- The start-up from Belarus has already processed the U.S. and Europe, and aims for global coverage by 2020.
- The map is practical, and more — browse 'Random Beautiful Fields' at the touch of a button.
The Royole Corporation beat Samsung to the punch when it recently released the world's first commercially available folding smartphone.
- The phone, called FlexPai, features three screens when folded and it costs $1,318.
- FlexPai runs Royole's custom Water OS, which will likely be a downside for consumers.
- Samsung, which has reportedly spent years developing a flexible smartphone, is expected to release a new device this week.
Kimo Kippen is the Former Chief Learning Officer for Hilton Worldwide. What's his view on Airbnb? He sums it up in one word: excited.
What could a global hotel executive have to say about Airbnb? The rule is typically: ‘If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.’ Since peer-to-peer accommodation start-up Airbnb launched in 2008, the mood has been tense between traditional lodging providers and the DIY movement that Airbnb represents.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.