Being on shaky financial footing is making Americans dumber.
- Not being able to pay your bills has the functional equivalent of lowering your IQ by 13 points. Many Americans have scarcity mindsets because of their inability to pay their bills.
- In a scarcity mindset, your functional bandwidth decreases — it influences you to be less generous and less reasonable.
- The opposite of a mindset of scarcity is a mindset of abundance, which is what many entrepreneurs have. Abundance mindsets tend to build on to themselves if the environment is right.
These powerful habits from six powerful people are worth taking to heart.
One of the most important yet underappreciated parts of a happy, fulfilling relationship is emotional strength — but what does that really mean? Research shows that emotional strength primarily comes down to maintaining a healthy perspective, a trait that's ever more important within the context of romantic relationships, where opportunities for miscommunication and unhealthy habits can be plentiful.
A new book about life under communism reveals an unexpected benefit.
- A new book by Kristen Ghodsee argues that women had much better sex in communist Eastern Europe than in the West.
- She attributes this to steps those states took to empower women and their resulting economic independence.
- While rebuilding the Iron Curtain isn't called for, the author suggests we can learn ways to empower women from these communist regimes.
The person whose phone was affected would have been given no indication that others were eavesdropping.
MacRumors via YouTube
- A FaceTime bug enabled iOS users to access the microphones and cameras on the phones of people they tried to call, even when those people didn't answer.
- Apple has temporarily disabled parts of its services to make such eavesdropping impossible.
- In general, iOS tends to be the most secure of the popular mobile operating systems, but the recently discovered bug shows all systems have vulnerabilities.
This economy has us in survival mode, stressing out our bodies and minds.
- Economic hardship is linked to physical and psychological illness, resulting in added healthcare expenses people can't afford.
- The gig economy – think Uber, Lyft, TaskRabbit, Handy – is marketed as a 'be your own boss' revolution, but it can be dehumanizing and dangerous; every worker is disposable.
- The cooperative business model can help reverse wealth inequality.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.