From animated umbrellas to polite-but-violent turtle-people, Japan's folklore contains some extremely creative monsters.
- Compared to Japan's menagerie of creatures, Western folklore can feel a little drab.
- The collection of yōkai—supernatural beasts or spirits—has a staggering amount of variety.
- Although there are many more creative folkloric creatures, here are nine that caught our attention.
Towards the end of his life, Francisco Goya began painting terrifying scenes directly onto the walls of his house.
- The Black Paintings stand out in art history for their dark composition and themes.
- The biggest mystery, though, is that Goya painted them directly onto the walls of his home and never told anybody about them.
- With such little information, all we can do is speculate about the 14 horrifying Black Paintings.
Really puts the whole "don't give up until you're dead" thing to shame.
- It's been said that "You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everybody dances with the grim reaper."
- These ten folks made huge advances in their field... but never lived long enough to see the fruits of their labors.
- Can you think of someone alive today who might make the list in the future?
A neuroscientist argues that Da Vicni shared a disorder with Picasso and Rembrandt.
- A neuroscientist at the City University of London proposes that Leonardo da Vinci may have had exotropia, allowing him to see the world with impaired depth perception.
- If true, it means that Da Vinci would have been able to see the images he wanted to paint as they would have appeared on a flat surface.
- The finding reminds us that sometimes looking at the world in a different way can have fantastic results.
Andy Thomas, a Missouri-based painter, painted an imaginary image of Trump and past Republican presidents that now hangs in the White House.
- The artist Andy Thomas, a self-taught painter living in Missouri, said he was surprised to learn Trump has hung the painting in the White House.
- Thomas also created a similar painting depicting former President Barack Obama alongside past Democratic presidents.
- Thomas said there's a hidden feminist message lying in both of the paintings.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.