PopularSurprising SciencePersonal GrowthMind & BrainSex & RelationshipsTechnology & InnovationCulture & ReligionPolitics & Current Affairs
- 14 pagan-flavored movies to consider for your next holiday get-together.
- Filmmakers just can't stay way from the pagan love of nature and magic.
- Pagan-themed movies can be excellent training for wee environmentalists.
Romans didn't do festivals half-way.
10 February, 2019
Image source: Public Domain / Wikimedia
- Modern Valentine's Day is a far more restrained version of the pagan holiday it replaced.
- During Lupercalia, Romans got naked, drunk, and there was whipping involved.
- Romantic cards? How about simulated penetration?
archaeology religion history sex christianity pagan holidays lupercalia romulus and remus ancient world history
Have we turned the corner of a cold winter?
02 February, 2019
A fire-cage swinging, Imbolc 2007, Marsden, England. Image source: Steven Earnshaw on Flickr
- The ancient holiday of Imbolc celebrates the imminent return of the sun in spring.
- The holiday also commemorates either goddess Bhrigid or St. Brigid, who may or may not be the same person.
- Good weather on Imbolc means more winter to come.
pagan holidays pagan history community religion christianity christmas celtic ireland imbolc bhrigid ancient world
Some things have always been worth celebrating.
25 January, 2019
Photo credit: Flickr user Christof
- Some lost ancient holidays aren't really so lost after all.
- All of us celebrate at least some pagan traditions whether we know it or not.
- There are two things that tend to bring humans together: crises and holidays.
pagan history community religion ancient world christianity christmas origin of christmas pagan holidays