The British philosopher reminds us that meaning is anywhere we choose to look.
- Alan Watts suggests there is no ultimate meaning of life, but that "the quality of our state of mind" defines meaning for us.
- This is in contradiction to the notion that an inner essence is waiting to be discovered.
- Paying attention to everyday, mundane objects can become highly significant, filling life with meaning.
- Climate change denial draws headlines. But is it actually an obstacle to climate action?
- A great majority of Americans say they're concerned about climate change.
- The real roadblock is our unwillingness to pay money to help stop climate change.
Sisu is an ancient concept that is an integral part of Finland's national character.
- Sisu is an important Finnish concept that helps natives tap into an "unexplored inner strength."
- Researcher Emilia Lahti surveyed over 1,000 Finnish citizens to discover what the term means to them.
- Lahti discovered her own sisu when completing 50 ultramarathons in 50 consecutive days to fight domestic violence.
At Big Think, we capture the thoughts of the world's most brilliant thinkers.
- At Big Think, significance, relevance, and actionability are our editorial guide stars. They are the principles that we consider in every case when we say, "Is this worth our time? Is this worth our attention or is it not?"
- Big Think Edge is the next step. We've created the single most valuable library of mentorship-rich, insight-driven applied learning that has ever been created.
- Big Think Edge is an online learning platform that lets you stream short, actionable videos lessons taught by the world's top thinkers. Want to become smarter, faster? Join now, or learn more.
Since the advent of communication, humans have used stories to create meaningful lives.
- "An experience of being alive" is what mythologist Joseph Campbell said humans strive for.
- Though we live in an age of distraction, short videos still tell big stories.
- That said, losing a connection to the environment to stare at a screen has disastrous consequences.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.