The desperate search for a narrative opens the door to the wonders of magic.
- By embracing a rational approach to life, society at large has stripped away meaning from psychologically important elements of life, including death.
- A lack of meaning leads to discomfort, which results in a desperate search for narrative in things that feel transcendent and bigger than ourselves.
- For some, the wonder of magic fills that void and provides the meaning and structure that has been lost.
- Derren returns to the stage with his new live, one-man show, Showman. Check it out here.
Why did government officials stop psychedelics from reaching mainstream culture?
- In the '60s drugs escape the lab and become a very important ingredient In the creation of the counterculture. Timothy Leary, a psychologist at Harvard in 1960, has something to do with this.
- In Cambridge, he starts the Harvard Psilocybin Project which focuses its research into learning more about this promising drug. Because of its medicinal properties, and apparent positive effect on mental health, Leary believed that everyone should use acid, or psilocybin.
- Richard Nixon called Leary the most dangerous man in America. He felt that LSD and other drugs were sapping the will of American boys to fight in Vietnam.
Just because you don't believe in God doesn't mean you aren't superstitious.
- A new report indicates atheists and agnostics still believe in supernatural phenomena despite not believing in gods.
- They tend to hold these beliefs at lower rates than the general population.
- This is in line with previous studies that show non-believers are just as prone to irrational thinking as their religious counterparts.
- 14 pagan-flavored movies to consider for your next holiday get-together.
- Filmmakers just can't stay way from the pagan love of nature and magic.
- Pagan-themed movies can be excellent training for wee environmentalists.
Psilocybin doesn't just make you trip; it can have lasting effects on how you see the world.
- In May, Denver will vote on whether or not to decriminalize magic mushrooms.
- In addition to their ability to combat depression and anxiety, magic mushrooms can also affect people's perspective, including their political positions.
- If Denverites begin to use more magic mushrooms, how will this change their community?